Camden, New Jersey
Unique themes and features draw new visitors to Adventure Aquarium, after the completion of a significant addition and renovation. The Alvine Aquatics engineering team provided life support, mechanical and electrical systems design for the following spaces:
- “Swim with the Sharks” An 18-foot-deep shark tank surrounds visitors as they walk through a sleek tunnel into the shark exhibit, viewing sharks from above and below. A ledge was created around the perimeter of the tank for visitors to “swim with the sharks.” This feature was interpreted by New Jersey health code officials as a “public beach” for purposes of water quality.
- The “Jungle Land” exhibit for birds and small animals contains an 8-foot-deep pool for two hippos.
- A third exhibit, a 50-foot “Ship Gallery,” includes small aquariums and jellyfish displays.
Major Program Spaces
- Shark exhibit (750,000 gallons)
- Hippo exhibit (72,000 gallons)
- Touch pools (20,000 gallons)
- Jellyfish and jewel tanks
- Quarantine holding tanks
Life Support Systems
- Sand filtration
- Water temperature control
- Ozone injection systems for disinfection
- Foam fractionation for reduction of micro-particulates
- Piping and pumping systems
- Fire protection
- Chilled water cooling
- Complete building energy management system
- Display and accent lighting
- An electrical generator provides an emergency life support system to safe-guard the entire aquarium